> Arms & the Man > Gun Ownership in India > Arms Laws in India > Indian Arms Act 1959
Indian Arms Act 1959
- Short title, extent and commencement
- Licence for acquisition and possession of firearms and ammunition
- Licence for acquisition and possession of arms of specified description in certain cases
- Licence for manufacture, sale, etc., of arms and ammunition
- Licence for the shortening of guns or conversion of imitation firearms into firearms
- Prohibition of acquisition or possession, or of manufacture or sale, of prohibited arms or prohibited ammunition
- Prohibition of sale or transfer of firearms not bearing identification marks
- Prohibition of acquisition or possession by, or of sale or transfer to young persons and certain other persons of fire arms, etc.
- Licence for import and export of arms, etc.
- Power to prohibit import or export of arms, etc.
- Power to restrict or prohibit transport of arms
- Grant of licenses
- Refusal of licenses
- Duration and renewal of licence
- Fees, etc., for licence
- Variation, suspension and revocation of licenses
- Power to demand production of licence, etc.
- Arrest of persons conveying arms, etc., under suspicious circumstances
- Deposit of arms, etc., on possession ceasing to be lawful
- Search and seizure by magistrate
- Search of vessels, vehicles for arms, etc.
- Seizure and detention under orders of the Central Government
24A. Prohibition as to possession of notified arms in disturbed areas, etc.
24B. Prohibition as to carrying of notified arms in or through public places in disturbed areas, etc.
- Punishment for certain offences
- Secret contraventions
- Punishment for using arms, etc.
- Punishment for use and possession of firearms or imitation firearms in certain cases
- Punishment for knowingly purchasing arms, etc., from unlicensed person or for delivering arms, etc., to person not entitled to possess the same
- Punishment for contravention of licence or rule
- Punishment for subsequent offences
- Power to confiscate
- Offence by companies
- Sanction of the Central Government for Warehousing of Arms
- Criminal responsibility of persons in occupation of premises in certain cases
- Information to be given regarding certain offences
- Arrest and searches
- Offences to be cognizable
- Previous sanction of the district magistrate necessary in certain cases
- Protection of action taken in good faith
- Power to exempt
- Power to take census of firearms
- Power to delegate
- Power to make rules
- Act not to apply in certain cases
- Repeal of Act 11 of 1878